If you need a first grade synonyms and antonyms worksheet, then you can pick from the two that follow. None of the synonyms or antonyms repeats from the first worksheet to the second, so many words are covered.
Synonyms and Antonyms: First Grade Worksheet #1
Introduction: Synonyms are words that have the same meaning, like loud and noisy. Antonyms are words that have the opposite meaning, like pretty and ugly.
A. Directions: Draw a line to match the synonyms.
- big happy
- glad large
- little small
- sick silent
- quiet ill
- leap save
- start jump
- mad begin
- same angry
- keep alike
B. Directions: Fill in the blank with an antonym for the underlined word.
end early cold stop smile down open full bad hard
- It is time to begin our lesson. __________
- My food is very hot. __________
- Would you please close the door. __________
- Do not start running yet. __________
- That is a good dog. __________
- This test is easy. __________
- My glass is empty. __________
- Is that a frown on your face? __________
- You have to go up the stairs. __________
- I am late for the meeting. __________
A. 1. large, 2. happy, 3. small, 4. ill, 5. silent, 6. jump, 7, begin, 8. angry, 9. alike, 10. save
B. 1. end, 2. cold, 3. open, 4. stop, 5. bad, 6. hard, 7. full, 8. smile, 9. down, 10. early
Synonyms and Antonyms Worksheet #2
This second of the first grade synonyms and antonyms worksheet will have different words than the first worksheet.
Introduction: Synonyms have the same meaning and antonyms have opposite meanings. Examples:
- synonyms: mad angry
- antonyms: tiny little
A. Directions: Fill in the blank with a synonym of the underlined word.
bucket quick close nice talk glad dirty tired bag neat
- You are a kind person. __________
- Please bring me that pail. _________
- This room is very messy. __________
- Please shut the window. __________
- He is as fast as lightning. __________
- Your desk is very tidy. __________
- If you are sleepy, then go to bed. __________
- I need a paper sack for groceries. __________
- Are you happy you came? __________
- She needs to speak with you. __________
B. Directions: Circle the antonyms in the following sentences.
- The tree is near my house but the road is far from it.
- Here is the book, but the cover is over there.
- My clothes are dry but my hair is wet.
- My dad is young but he acts old.
- That shirt is too large for such a small boy.
- When you are loud, I will ask you to be quiet.
- You are kind even when he is mean to you.
- The sun is high at noon and low at sunset.
- Messy kids need to work on being tidy.
- Stop at a red light and go when it is green.
CHALLENGE: Think of a word that is a synonym and write it in the blank.
- auto _____
- huge _____
- little _____
- mad _____
- begin _____
Think of a word that is an antonym and write it in the blank
- soft _____
- pretty _____
- walk _____
- cold _____
- happy _____
A. nice, 2. bucket, 3. dirty, 4. close, 5. quick, 6. neat, 7. tired, 8. bag, 9. glad, 10. talk
- near far
- here there
- dry wet
- young old
- large small
- loud quiet
- kind mean
- high low
- messy tidy
- stop go
C. Answers will vary