Second graders are quickly expanding their writing skills. Inspire kids to express themselves with these 50 engaging 2nd grade writing prompts designed to spark the imagination and get those pencils moving.
50 Engaging 2nd Grade Writing Prompts
Journal Writing Prompts for 2nd Graders
Second graders are writing longer journal entries. So, they need really inspiring prompts to encourage them to expand on their ideas. Here are several to get started.
- Pretend you're in charge of dinner plans tonight. What would you make?
- Do you like summer or winter better? Why?
- When was the last time you were sad?
- Describe someone you love.
- A fairy gives you one wish. What do you wish for?
- What would you like to tell the president or prime minister?
- What are you good at? Why do you like it?
- Do you like the woods or the city better? Why?
- Invent a holiday. How would people celebrate?
- Write a thank-you letter to someone who did something for you.
2nd Grade "What If" Prompts
When it comes to using their imaginations, second graders are incredible. They will come up with some wonderful and creative answers to these "what if" questions.
- What if cats could talk?
- What if an alien went to your school?
- What if you could travel to the time of dinosaurs?
- What if you switched places with your mom or dad for a day?
- What if you woke up with wings?
- What if you had a substitute teacher who was a dog?
- What if it really did rain cats and dogs?
- What if you could go on a trip anywhere you wanted?
- What if you had no school for a year?
- What if your bedroom had no ceiling?
Great Questions to Inspire 2nd Graders
Questions prompt second graders to consider new perspectives and ideas in their writing. This is great for writing longer responses and expanding their use of language.
- If you could write a book about anything, what would you write about?
- How do you think kids will get to school in 50 years?
- What do you think it was like when your grandparents were little?
- Pick a country. What do you know about the kids there?
- If you could use a magic wand, what would you do with it?
- What is the best thing on your school's playground? Why do you like it?
- What is your favorite thing to drink? What does it taste like?
- What planet would you like to visit? Why?
- How did your grandparents meet each other?
- Has someone done something kind for you lately?
2nd Grade Finish-the-Story Prompts
- One day, two ducks go to a carnival. When they get on the first ride….
- You get home from school. You see a box on your front porch. When you open it….
- Your best friend comes to your house at night and says, "I need your help!"
- You go for a walk and find a little fawn with no mother….
- On a class trip to the museum, a nice dinosaur comes to life….
- Once upon a time, a fairy gave a boy three wishes….
- You wake up in a different house. How did you get there?
- If you wear all black, you are invisible….
- For your birthday, you get a baby unicorn….
- Looking through a telescope, you find a new star. It is blinking….
Expository Writing Prompts for 2nd Graders
Because they are writing longer and more detailed stories and journals, second graders are ready to learn a little more about expository writing. These prompts will help them create summaries, tell how to do things, and just get inspired.
- Write a letter to a three-year-old about what you do at school.
- What is your oldest memory?
- What do you do each morning to get ready?
- What do you have to do to take care of a dog?
- If you could pick anything to wear, what would your outfit look like?
- What happens in your favorite book?
- How do you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
- Describe the perfect birthday party.
- Pick a parent. What does that parent do all day?
- What are some ways to help someone who is sad?