For many children, one of the more exciting periods of education is when they begin to work their way through 2nd grade grammar. Having gotten past the difficulties of sounding out basic words and identifying letters, they are in a sort of "sponge" mode — absorbing new vocabulary with amazing speed. They begin excitedly using new words in their spoken conversations. The increase in communication becomes something of an adventure.
2nd Grade Grammar: Key Skills and Worksheets
Form and Use Irregular Plural Nouns
During second grade, students will learn how to form irregular plural noun forms of commonly used words.
Form Past Tense of Irregular Verbs
Second graders will go beyond basic verb skills by learning how to form and use the past tense of common irregular verbs.
- Form and properly use the past tense of irregular verbs. Work with a past tense verb chart.
- Recognize correct examples of past tense irregular verbs.
- Practice and reinforce skills with irregular verb worksheets.
Use Adjectives and Adverbs Correctly
Mastering the use of both adjectives and adverbs is important 2nd grade grammar skills.
- Learn what adjectives are and how they are used.
- Learn what adverbs are, as well as how they are used.
- Correctly use adverbs and adjectives in sentences to describe other words.
Create Sentences With Proper Syntax
Second graders will need to learn to use proper syntax so they can write simple and complex sentences using proper word arrangement.
Capitalize Proper Nouns
Second grade punctuation skills include learning how to properly capitalize commonly used proper nouns.
- Learn and apply proper noun capitalization rules.
- Correctly capitalize holidays, brand names, geographic locations, and other proper nouns.
- Use capitalization worksheets to practice and reinforce skills.
Use Commas in Letter Greetings
Second graders will start to expand their knowledge of the ways commas should be used in letters.
Use Apostrophes in Contractions and Possessives
During second grade, students will discover how to use apostrophes to form contractions and possessives.
Determine the Meaning of Unfamiliar Words
Second graders will learn strategies to help them decipher the meaning of new words.
- Determine the meaning of compound words based on the individual words that make them up.
- Figure out what an unfamiliar word means by looking at the other words in the sentence.
- Use familiar root words and common prefixes to figure out what unfamiliar words might mean.
Mastering 2nd Grade Grammar Skills
Second grade grammar development will push students to expand what they learned in first grade. They'll learn new rules of grammar and perfect the skills that were introduced the previous year. For even more information about what to expect in 2nd grade English class, review some examples of second grade vocabulary words.