Fourth grade is when kids start learning how to coherently weave ideas into one another. The 4th grade grammar curriculum focuses on standard grammar and punctuation rules, as well as some fairly complex language usage rules and sentence writing.
4th Grade Grammar: Key Skills and Worksheets
Correctly Use Relative Pronouns and Adverbs
Fourth grade grammar includes relative pronouns and relative adverbs.
- Learn what relative pronouns are and how to properly use them.
- Learn what relative adverbs are, how they work and how to use them in sentences.
- Determine when to use who or whom in sentences, as well as which vs. that and where or when vs. why.
Form and Use Progressive Verb Tenses
Fourth graders will be expected to become skilled with forming and correctly using progressive verb tenses.
- Learn how to conjugate progressive verb tenses.
- Learn to identify correct examples of progressive tense verbs.
- Correctly form progressive verb tenses to use in sentences.
Use Adjectives in Proper Order
Fourth graders will expand on their knowledge of adjectives to put multiple adjectives in order within sentences.
- Master how to form, properly order and use compound adjectives in sentences.
- Discover what coordinate adjectives are and how to properly use them.
- Learn how to order cumulative adjectives in a sentence.
Form and Use Prepositional Phrases
Fourth grade grammar includes instruction on how to correctly structure and use prepositional phrases.
- Learn what prepositional phrases are and how they function.
- Learn to recognize commonly used prepositional phrases.
- Correctly include prepositional phrases in sentences.
Master Sentence Structure
Fourth grade students will be expected to be able to consistently produce complete sentences.
Differentiate Between Commonly Confused Words
Fourth graders will learn how to tell the difference between some of the most commonly confused words.
Properly Use Quotation Marks
The 4th grade grammar rules include the basics of using quotation marks in text. This includes using quotation marks with speech and quotations from a text.
Mastering 4th Grade Grammar
Students have a lot to learn in fourth grade. This includes continuing to lay a strong foundation in grammar that will enable them to communicate effectively throughout their lives. To learn even more about what to expect in a 4th grade Common Core curriculum for English, review this list of common fourth grade vocabulary words. From there, explore a selection of fourth grade capitalization worksheets.